Monday, May 17, 2010

Mango Season?

Mango season is normally mid- to late- summer, but supposedly can vary depending variety.  Umami's tree has never really had much fruit.  But this year, starting in about March, there were lots of flowers and, now, lots of fruit!  Perhaps a combination of less wind (?) and distracted birds (who normally eat a lot of the fruit) caused the outburst.  Right now, though, there's a lot of fruit weighing down the branches!  Irony is . . . I don't really like mangos!  (That's "irony" in the dictionary sense of the word, not the "Alanis Morrissette" sense of the word.  C'mon, you knew I was going to bring that up!  I wonder, though, has harassing Alanis about irony jumped the shark?  Has the phrase "jumped the shark" jumped the shark?  Would that be ironic?  I digress . . . !)

Reviewers have said the fruit is very good; sweet, no fibers.  But no one has been able to identify the variety yet . . .









My Aunty Bea made some into pickled mango.  No li hing mui, but she did add li hing mui powder.  I tried it, and the fruit is very good (to my uneducated palate).  Alas, still not a fan . . . but my office will be pretty pleased when I bring it in to work tomorrow!
  One last pic!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment