Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

Mother's Day dinner was at Buzz's Original Steak House, which is right across the street from Kailua Beach Park.  My parents hadn't been there in years, so when my sister suggested it, they thought "why not?"

And it was a very pleasant late afternoon, early evening, not too hot yet, no wind blowing sand all over the place. I paint at Kailua Beach (used to be, regularly, now, not so much) and a lot of the allure of the site is being able to go to Buzz's for lunch afterwards.  I normally have a spicy Bloody Mary, which is spicy here, lots of Tabasco, black pepper, and even horseradish!  That's a solid drink!  Their Mai Tais are even more lethal, since they're basically all rum!  A fresh fish sandwich, with a side of fries (the fries are actually lightly battered!) to go along with the bloody, that's a nice lunch!  Suffice to say, I like the place.

That's why it pains me somewhat to report that dinner was not quite as good.  Still decent, mind you, but not quite there.  Basically, here's the problem.  I ordered the monchong prepared Chinese style.  It was nice large piece of fish, no doubt, but the problem was in the preparation.  I expect Chinese style fish to be basically steamed, with shoyu, oil, ginger, scallions, and cilantro.  This, however, was basically fish with some very mild ginger over a bed of cabbage and teriyaki sauce.  The cilantro was rather unceremoniously plopped on top in 6"-8" long stalks.  It was a little too sweet; tasty, but still disappointing.

But I will be back!  Just for lunch, not for dinner!



Buzz's Original Steak House
413 Kawailoa Road, Kailua, HI  96734 (across Kailua Beach Park)
(808) 261-4661

No comments:

Post a Comment